Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Eugene

About 17 years go I adopted two cats. I’m not sure what I was thinking. I wasn’t particularly a cat person, I wasn’t even a pet person. I was mostly an irresponsible person. But a fellow photographer’s cat had kittens and so I picked out two. Two brothers. I’m not sure why I picked those two. Maybe it was because I’m a big black and white guy and the two boys were mostly shades of grey (and sepia). I didn't realize it at the time but they would become the constants in my life. My personal life would change, my professional life would change. I would change addresses (several times) and even cities. But they were always there, they would even come running to the door when i came home at whatever hour. I got two cats because I figured they would keep each other company (one of the few responsible things I did) when I wasn't home. Not too infrequently I would work a very long day and I was somewhat comforted knowing that they had each other. A vet commented that they would be buddies for a long time. And they were, to each other and to me. Eugene, the long-haired grey cat with the regal white mane had to be put down yesterday. We’re all going to miss him.





6 comments:

Anna said...

awww, may Eugene be at peace in kitty heaven. I'm sending good thoughts to all of you during this challenging time....

Unknown said...

he was so handsome! i'm so sorry little bro, but i know you gave him a happy happy lifetime

Unknown said...

Beautiful shots, beautiful cat(s).
He was special and always will be.
Love you Eugene.

J.

Anonymous said...

Jamie has always been the cat person in my life. I was dogs straight-up. Then about a year ago, I went wandering into the cat section of the pound and met Ellie Mae, a little six month old calico who meowed endlessly in the cage, but would sit quietly in your arms for forever.

I had to have her.

Now I'm a member of the cat world and get it. I even feel a little connected to Jamie through her.

And with Eugene. I know you'll miss him.

JAdeleGold said...

I'm one of the changes in John's personal life. I had two cats when we met; together, we ended up with four cats. Eugene is the only cat I've known who once came down with a cold, and it was because of that -- we ended up late one night at an all-hours vet whose walls were adorned with posters of cat breeds -- that we happened to recognize one photo that of a cat who looked like a perfect mix of Eugene & his brother. That's how we realized Puck & Eugene were Ragdolls. From a website: "Ragdolls are large, laid-back, semi longhaired cats .... tend to be more interested in humans than some breeds of cats. They are known to run to greet you at the door, follow you from room to room, flop on you, sleep with you, and generally choose to be where you are."
I miss that ragdoll guy so much...

Ani L. Arambula said...

I remember when you got the kitties from Barry. They were soooooo teeny tiny.

I'm so sorry for your loss John...

hugs,
ani